Saturday, September 02, 2006

August 23rd, 2006 - Fourth Day in Vegas

Today we got up around 9:00 a.m. after having our first real good night’s sleep since arriving in Las Vegas. We had to be at Bally’s for the Price is Right show by 2:00 p.m. as the show started at 2:30. So we left TI around 11:00 a.m. and caught a cab over to Bally’s.
We found a nice little restaurant to grab something to eat. Met a very sweet server named Michelle who was in a lot of pain [passing kidney stones]. She showed us a picture of her husband who had recently graduated school to become a radiation technologist and that they’d both soon be moving to Phoenix. I hope she has a smooth transition to her new home [and free from pain]. Dawna and I joked around with her that she could moonlight as a tour guide in Vegas. Such a funny lady.
After lunch, we went and got our seats for the Price is Right show. It was an absolute riot. Laughed at the “I’ve got crabs” t-shirt. Was a bit creeped out by the cemetery worker. Cheered on the young man from Long Island who won a trip. By the time the show was over, my throat was sore and I had pretty much lost my voice from shouting such memorable lines as “higher” and/or “lower.” Out in the lobby, Dawna and I got our picture taken with the “cast.”



After that, we took a shuttle bus over to Rio. Neither of us cared much for that hotel. I did find the girl dancing on the slot machines to be quite humorous. Although, I felt bad that no one [except for Dawna and I] seemed to notice that she was there.
From Rio, we caught a cab over to the Palms hotel.



We signed up for a player’s card and then went over to the Hart & Huntington Tattoo Company in the hotel. I sign up to get a tattoo done. You can’t make an appointment; it’s done on a first come first serve basis. This is at around 7:00 p.m. and the wait looks like I won’t get in until around 11:00 p.m. Dawna and I buy some t-shirts. Dawna gets an autograph by Dizzle for her husband [he spells the name wrong]. We go and play some slots. Then we get something to eat. We wander through the Playboy store [not much there]. We play some more slots. Dawna sees someone wearing a t-shirt that she thinks her husband would love to have. Finds out that she can get the shirt at Mandalay Bay. I tell her that she should go to Mandalay Bay to get the shirt as the stores will all be closing by 11:00 p.m. and that I can just meet her back at the hotel room afterwards. She was reluctant to leave me on my own to get tattooed, but I assured her that I would be fine. Finally she agreed to go.
I get in shortly after 11:00 p.m. to get my tattoo from Joey. He’s pictured first below:



Even at that time of night, it was still pretty busy in there. I have to say that the shop is so much smaller in “real life” than it is on TV. I think the shop would run a whole bunch more smoothly if they had two counters: one dealing strictly with tattoos and the other dealing just with merchandise. Otherwise, that front counter gets impossibly crowded.
I recognized Dizzle and Twig there in the shop that night. I never spoke to Dizzle, but Twig commented on the fact that I looked so relaxed [I was falling asleep while the tattoo was being done].
Joey did a really nice job of my tattoo. It’s my husband’s name [stylized] in a “bracelet” around my arm.
Here are some pics of it:



It was shortly after midnight when they bandaged up my new tat and sent me on my way. I caught a cab back to TI. I’m not 100% sure, but I think the cab driver might have been hitting on me. The conversation went as follows:
Cabbie “You must have had lots of guys hitting on you while in Vegas.”
Me “Thankfully, no.”
Cabbie “Why do you say ‘thankfully’?”
Me “Because then I didn’t have to get mean.”
Cabbie “You’d get mean?”
Me “It depends. Depends on how well the person understood and took the word ‘no.’ If they accepted it the first time, no problems. If they got pushy and aggressive, I’d have to resort to violence and punch them in the face.”
Cabbie “What if a guy tactfully asked you to sleep with him?”
Me “Then I would tactfully have to tell him ‘no.’”
Cabbie “Oh.”
At this point we’re pulling into the front entrance of the hotel and I pay him the fare; the conversation ends. Judge for yourself.
I find Dawna in the hotel room. It’s 1:00 a.m. and I’m completely wired [running on an adrenaline high from just getting tattooed]. I know that we have to be up and checked out of the room by 11:00 a.m. the next morning [or later the same day], so I force myself to lie down and get to sleep. I actually fall asleep a lot faster than I thought I would.

No comments: