Thursday, July 13, 2006

Buds Blooming in the Rain

I had to go out last night to get some gas and some milk. Problem was that someone had parked their truck across the end of our driveway in the alley and there was no way for me to get the van out of the garage. I knew the truck belonged to a guest of the house right behind us. I’ve meant for some time to let the neighbours know that they can have a guest park to the one side of our driveway if they want to [because they often just park in the alley blocking off through access].
I walked over there with my youngest boy to speak with the young 20-somethings that live there. I wasn’t aggressive or mean. I politely asked if they could move the truck and that, if they wanted, they could park in the driveway along the one side and they could do that whenever they came to visit. The young men were extremely apologetic and the friends of the driver gave him a hard time about completely blocking in the driveway.
I mentioned that we had an old dishwasher at the end of the driveway that needed to be taken to the dump but we hadn’t had time yet to do that, so I wanted them to be careful, not because I was worried about damage to the dishwasher, but I didn’t want them to damage any of their vehicles.
The young men asked “Do you want us to take it to the dump for you?”
I stood there kind of dumbfounded for a moment.
They continued “We have to make a run to the dump in the morning anyway, so if you want, we can throw it in the back of the truck and take it with us.”
I said that would be wonderful and thanked them profusely.
So they threw the dishwasher in the truck, pulled off to the side of the driveway and off I went to do my errands.
A simple event. But after the week I’ve had, it was so nice to have practical strangers [young people at that] who were so polite and considerate and downright helpful.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, it's a "pay it forward" kind of day. I was leaving our local store today with lunch in hand. I was tired -- we were working hard today -- and as I approached my car, I saw two nice looking young men who were pouring liquid from a BIG jug into a small "Red Bull" type can. I wondered what they were doing until I got close enough and saw that they were pouring gas into the can to try to get it into their truck. This was going to take forever. I knew that my ever-so organized husband had a funnel in the back of his car and while not great for pour gas, it would beat the heck out of a small can. I asked them if it would help and they were so grateful and I left feeling good about the world. And in another place at a different time, two young men took your old dishwasher to the dump. It's all good.